Monday, August 25, 2008

Malawi blog august 21 2008
I have been fortunate to spend the week traveling to villages with the VCT counselors in the University of Pennsylvania and Chancellor College. The research study is examining beliefs and behaviors. The study provides free HIV testing to participants so people are aware of their status and can then go to the hospital to receive HIV medication. The study uses vans to reach villages and hires a mostly Malawian staff to conduct the fieldwork.
I have really enjoyed my time traveling throughout the villages talking with the Malawian counselors and meeting many of the Malawian people and children in the villages. During interviews I have played soccer with the children and danced to music from the van speakers. The people are very warm hearted and kind. When the kids see me they yell out Inzugu which means white person. I really enjoy all the warm smiles, waves, thumbs ups, and calling out “bobo” and “shopshop”- which translates into “what's up.”
I know how to say- How are you? I'm fine, and you? Thank you. What's up.
Sharing the love- two of the graduate students from the University of Pennsalyavnia were flying out home and the VCT counselors put together a going away party complete with song, poems, decorations, gifts, food, soda, and music. The graduate students worked for two months on the research study and went into the field with the VCT counselors. In speaking with the graduate students I heard a lot about how the Malawian VCT counselors had a huge impact on them and they were sad to leave Malawi- turns out the students also had a big impact on the VCT counselors- what a great connection that was made and what a great send off for the graduate students.
Here are a number of photos.
My brother and his wife where we were staying in Blyntare for the first night.
The new hospital in Neno that Regan will be working at when it opens- built by Partners in Health (PIH).
Famous African Tree during the drive from Neno to Balaka.
Sunday soccer game- mostly without shoes.
Getting ready for the day.
Man carrying chickens on his back.
Kids in village.
Girl in village.
My current backyard on what I've named Hippo River.

No comments: