Saturday, August 16, 2008

South Africa Has a Lot to Share




I am having a great beginning to my year in Africa. My good friend from college Steve Davis is working on his doctorate in African Studies in Cape Town for the year and he has been able to make friends with many South Africans. We were able to travel throughout the Eastern Cape and stay at local people's houses and really experience the local culture. We also were able to visit the township in Cape Town and see the living conditions for many of the people of South Africa.

I am currently in Malawi, I flew in today, and I'm with my brother and his wife Regan. They are putting me to work right away, which I am grateful for, and Monday I will be going to the villages with researchers to where I will assist with HIV tests and survey data. I'm happy to begin to meet people and experience the culture.

I have thought of this often and I am here to learn. I am excited to learn.


Here are some photos- Our first home stay in Mthata, near where Nelson Mandela was born and has his home, playing soccer with local children, and a woman ironing a shirt in the township to begin the day.